The 24 Best Summer Festivals in Amsterdam
Anne at Yourlittleblackbook is the best-known lifestyle and travel blogger in Amsterdam. She takes us through the best festivals in Amsterdam this summer.
All through the summer, Amsterdam transforms into one big event— for young and old!
I’ve been attending Lowlands—practically every year—since I was thirteen. I rarely skip the techno festivals. The Netherlands is famous for its great DJs. That’s why there are so many good dance festivals here.
And what could be more fun than taking away something from the local scene following a visit to Amsterdam? So here’s an overview of twenty-four festivals that you won’t want to miss this summer.
- Pitch: On 3 and 4 July we can go to Pitch at the Westergasfabriek (Western Gas Factory)! It’s an electronic festival complete with acts by artists from the Netherlands and abroad. http://pitchfestival.nl/ (Dutch only)
- Verknipt Festival: Three stages, mostly House and Techno! 4 July, Riekerhaven Sport Park. http://www.verknipt.org/
- A Day At The Park: Are you partial to internationally famous DJs? Then you owe yourself a visit to A Day At The Park for a line-up of great names and fantastic décor. 11 July, Amsterdamse Bos (Amsterdam Forest). https://www.facebook.com/Adayatthepark (Dutch only)
- Buiten Westen. Six stages, a Ferris Wheel, a festival market, food trucks, and a great line-up including Paul Kalkbrenner. I’ve already got tickets! 18 July, Westerpark. http://buitenwesten.am/ (Dutch only)
- Dekmantel Weekender. In conjunction with this two-day dance festival in the Amsterdamse Bos (the Amsterdam Forest), Dekmantel Weekender will open this year in the Muziekgebouw aan ’t IJ (Music Building on the IJ). And, as if that weren’t enough, the festival will continue for three nights in the Melkweg theatre. 30 July to 2 August. http://www.dekmantelfestival.com/
- Over het IJ Theatre Festival: A ten-day festival dedicated to theatre, visual art, and interactive installations. 2 to 12 July, NDSM Wharf, Amsterdam North. http://overhetij.nl/ (Dutch only)
- Gay Pride: The annual Gay Pride is a party for the entire city. The highlight is the boat parade through the city’s canals on the Saturday. 25 July to 2 August at a variety of locations. http://www.amsterdamgaypride.nl/
- Artis ZOOmeravonden (Summer Evenings at Amsterdam Zoo): Every Saturday from June to August you can hear live performances at Artis—Amsterdam Zoo—as the sun sets. Learn about the nocturnal rituals of the animals and take the special tour! Every Saturday. http://www.artis.nl/bezoekersinfo/zoomeravonden
- TREK Food Truck Festival: In the weekend of 17 July, Amsterdam’s Amstel Park will transform magically into a grand open-air restaurant. You can sample a variety of snacks at the food trucks, listen to live music, and watch theatre. 17 to 19 July, Amstel Park. http://www.festival-trek.nl/ (Dutch only)
- Amsterdam Kookt (Amsterdam Cooks): A new food festival in Amsterdam North. With food samples, music, and more. Admission is free! 30 July to 2 August. NDSM Wharf, Amsterdam North. http://amsterdamkookt.nl/ (Dutch only)
- Loveland Festival: It’s not just the impressive line-up that draws people to this festival. The décor is also something to behold. This is a place to envelop yourself in summer vibes! 8 August, Sloterpark. http://loveland.nl/
- Shoeless: It’s a bit of a bike ride. Or you can take the bus headed for IJmuiden, but the parties at Ruigoord are always great. 15 and 16 August, Ruigoord, http://shoeless.nl/ (Dutch only)
- Lowlands: This is arguably the best-known multiple-day festival in the Netherlands. Three days of bands, DJs, and camping. My tent is ready to go! 21-25 August, Biddinghuizen. http://lowlands.nl/
- Voltt: The NDSM Wharf is the perfect spot for a summer festival. When it comes to good electronic music, Voltt is a classic. 29 August, NDSM Wharf, Amsterdam North. https://www.facebook.com/events/860391803983291/
- Amsterdam Woods Festival: A new festival, small in scale, with live performances, music documentaries, and semi-acoustic performances.28 to 30 August, Amsterdamse Bos (Amsterdam Forest). https://www.facebook.com/AmsterdamWoodsFestival/
- Mysteryland: One of the world’s largest outdoor festivals, with electro, urban, hardstyle, dance, house, hip hop, and trance music. This year with a weekend festival. 29 and 30 August, Haarlemmermeer, www.mysteryland.nl/en/
- The Parade, Amsterdam: This year, The Parade will celebrate its twenty-fifth anniversary. The programme includes a wide variety of theatre, dance, mime, and musical performances. You can also go there for a ride on the flying carrousel or dance in the silent disco. 7 to 23 August, Martin Luther King Park. http://www.deparade.nl/info/parade/
- Uitmarkt: An annual event including a varied programme of performing arts, film, theatre, new media, and literary performance. 28-30 August at a variety of locations around Amsterdam. http://www.uitmarkt.nl/english
- Magneet Festival: At the end of August we can all go to the Magneet Festival in Amsterdam East. Two weekends filled with music, theatre, architecture, and art. A fun festival for the entire family. 22 to 24 august and 29 to 31 August. http://www.magneetfestival.nl/en
- Sail Amsterdam: Watch the most beautiful sailing ships in Amsterdam Harbour. Be sure to get a good spot along the harbour (het IJ) to catch this grand spectacle. 19 to 23 August, at a variety of locations. https://www.sail.nl/en-2015
- Unseen: Do you enjoy photography? Then you should see the Photography Fair Unseen! 18 August to 20 September, Westergasfabriek (Western Gas Factory). http://www.unseenamsterdam.com/
- Valtifest: For a good dressing-up party, you should go to the Valtifest. It’s a crazy and atmospheric party on the NDSM Wharf in Amsterdam North. Don’t wait too long to buy your tickets. 5 September. NDSM Wharf in Amsterdam North. http://www.valtifest.nl/ (Dutch only)
- Bacchus Wine Festival: Wine lovers, note this one down in your diary! In the first weekend in September, you can taste some of the best wines in the Amsterdam Forest (Amsterdamse Bos). 4 to 6 September, Amsterdamse Bos (Amsterdam Forest). http://www.bacchuswijnfestival.nl/ (Dutch only)
- Bier West Festival: A new craft beer festival in Amsterdam West! Here, you can drink beers from microbreweries while you eat barbecue and listen to live music. 20 September, Erasmus Park. http://bierfestival.amsterdam/ (Dutch only)
Tip: Reserve your festival tickets online. These festival sell out quickly! Should it already be sold out, you can still try to get a ticket through Ticketswap.
iFly selected these 4 great dance festivals for you!